Friday, June 19, 2009

In the beginning..

I used to blog quite a bit and for some reason deleted it. stupid stupid stupid. Anyways, I'm back at it again!

The reason I chose "Ole" for my title is because of a paragraph that is my inpiration for running and for life. Here it is:

Centuries ago in the North African desert tribal dancers would perform into the late hours of the night. On a rare night a performer would seemingly transcend what was humanly possible and the crowd would chant “Ala Ala Ala” in response meaning “by God by God by God”, because they could see God in the performer’s dance. As the custom eventually took root in Spain the pronunciation changed from Ala to the more modernly known Ole; chanted in bull fighting and flamingo dancing to this day. I’m sure you all can think of times when someone performed outside themselves. Lance Armstrong in the Tour de France, Michael Phelps at the 2008 Olympics, and the list goes on and on. I love to watch transcendent performances because like those in the North African desert; it gives me a glimpse of God. I’ve concluded that the only thing I love more about running than those moments when maybe I have given others, or hopefully will one day give others, a glimpse of God are those moments I feel God running in me. It’s hard to articulate, but when you experience it, you know it. Those moments that are typically effortful become effortless. The thoughts in your head melt away and all that’s left is joy, delight, and the satisfying sensation of performing outside of yourself.In the Bible is says, “not by might nor by power but by my spirit says the Lord of hosts”. The bible is full of stories of man doing the impossible when the Spirit of God was upon them; a chained Samson pushing over the pillars of the house or Elijah out running the chariots. The signs and the wonders are everywhere. There is a verse in Proverbs that says, “the horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests within the Lord”.My goal is to run in the spirit and perform in the same way the dancers performed in the deserts of Africa and maybe, just maybe, someone will see a glimpse of God out there as I race.
Life is pretty hectic/exciting right now. Should make for some interesting blogs.
Have a great day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment